Monday, April 27, 2015

Vacationland

This week was pretty amazing because our family had a week off together. I can't remember the last time the 5 of us had our vacations line up. I still had coursework to do, but textbooks will travel, and they did! Derek and I are kind of sappy in the sense that we really, genuinely enjoy doing things together. For 20 years he has been my obnoxious best friend, and probably the only person who I never doubt really likes spending time with me. So we were stupidly happy to have the week together.

19 years ago. Just a boy in a dress, singing an ABBA duet with his girlfriend. You know, typical 90's stuff...


We aren't in the position to go on a real vacation, at least not for a few more years, but my husband and I decided that we weren't going to let that stop us from acting like we were on a real vacation. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the United States. Millionaires have their second (and probably third) homes here! The middle class spend thousands of dollars to come see our rocky shores and pine-y trees!!

Tourist: "Look at these Maine trees, Honey! They're so darn piney!"

It's easy to forget that we living in mother-effing Vacationland! After surviving such a miserable winter, it can be even easier to forget how lucky we are to live here.

I won't bore you with everything that we did this week, but I figured that I would highlight the coolest thing we got to do. WE CLIMBED A FREAKING MOUNTAIN!!! Cadillac Mountain, to be precise. Well, full disclosure, we walked the road that lead you up the mountain, and that was only because the road was closed and we couldn't drive up it...It was still quite the accomplishment though, especially with a 4 and 6 year old keeping pace with us.

This was how excited Max was about climbing the mountain after 2 1/2 hours.

The first thing that I learned is that you should never try to walk up a mountain with your children unless you know how long of a walk it will be. I won't lie, some stretches were BRUTAL! There was some crying, and whining, near fainting, and a lot of "I'm hungry!". And all of that was just coming from my husband! I'm kidding! Mostly... There were more than a few times we considered turning back. Derek didn't want to head back with the kids without me, but I really wanted to say I made it to the top. So, being the super awesome husband that he is, he pushed the kids (figuratively, jeesh!) to keep going. We took turns carrying Owen on our shoulders, and carried Max a few times too. He engaged the boys in conversations about anything and everything, just to keep them moving without realizing that yes, they were indeed still climbing up the same mountain. Every time we would think, "Ok, were done!" We would see some amazing site and it would spur us on further. The heavy amounts of snow that we got this winter were taking their time to melt off of the mountain. This gave us the incredible opportunity to see massive waterfalls, just a few feet in front of us. It was stunning. We couldn't hear ourselves talk because it was so loud. We were all in awe. This was a last minute climb, so we didn't have the camera, and though Derek brought his iPod, he didn't realize his finger was in front of the camera lens for almost every. single. picture. If we could have just got one good shot of those waterfalls!! Luckily we have these gems-

And here we have the least impressive photo of a waterfall, ever taken.

Derek's finger photobombing, yet again.


The whole thing took us about 3 hours, and though some of those moments within that time span were less than stellar, the feeling after we had climbed it, made up for every complaint. For the rest of vacation, my husband and our boys would yell, "On the first day of vacation, WE CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN!!"

This was before all hope was lost and they truly believed that the summit was "right around this next corner".

 I hope that we gave them a memory of doing something challenging. At the very least they will have a story to tell about how Mom and Dad made them climb a mountain and 3 out of the 4 of us had to go to the bathroom while we were out there.

True story, bro.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like vacationing in your own state! I hope you all enjoyed the view from the top. Way to start out the vacation week!

    ReplyDelete