Monday, April 6, 2015

No money, no problem!

So I have been on this quest to find ways to spice up my exercise routine. It's frustrating because there are a lot of different types of exercise that I would like to try, but cost is always an issue. Gym memberships cost a lot of money, and even weekly Zumba classes are often close to $10.00 a pop. Then you figure in the cost of driving to these classes and it adds up. Quickly. So what's a cost conscious girl to do? Head to the internet of course! There is a plethora of workouts that you can find for free on YouTube. I have done a few different ones that are just straight up walking videos. They aren't exciting, but they are effective, and even better is that they are free!! The last one that I did was the best though, if for nothing other than the entertainment value of it. Keaira LaShae has some workouts on there that made me laugh, and pray to all that was holy that my husband wouldn't walk in the room while I was attempting her workout. I thought that it was just some fluff and silliness, but I couldn't move the next day because I was so sore. There were a few possibilities for this, 1.) I was actually coming down with the flu, so... 2.) This was a more difficult workout than it appeared to be 3.) *This one is probably the MOST likely*  My body is not meant to do anything that even slightly resembles a twerk.


 There were a few pieces that I swear were stolen from movies though.  If you are a child of the 80's, you should know the movie, "Can't Buy Me Love". If you are a child of the 80's and don't know that movie, we can no longer be friends. I'll fight through my disappointment in you to tell you that there is a scene in the movie where everyone does this African Anteater dance. I SWEAR this is somehow a part of her workout!!!

He went from totally geek, to totally chic!





And then, just when you think that you have recovered from that, she moves straight into the Pop and Lock from the movie,  "Legally Blonde"!

I could seriously care less if you have seen this movie though.

Regardless of where she got the moves from, I did sweat, I did get in a decent workout, and it was free!!

Another source that a friend of mine told me about  is right on your television! You can find workouts on your On Demand service if you have cable through Time Warner. There is a whole section devoted just to various workouts. I have done a few and they are pretty good. Not as funny as the 1 MILE WALK/DANCE with Keaira LaShae, but come on, we all can't be her!

The one that I am most excited about, but that I haven't started yet is a weighted hoop class. This one is not for free, but because I am signed up to take the class through Adult Education, the cost is less than half of what it would be. Normally the class is $10 per session, but signing up through Adult Ed, same class, same instructor as the other class I was interested in, and the class is $29.00 for the 6 week duration. How cool is that?!
The class doesn't start until the week after next, but I assure you I will tell you all about it. I am told that I will be able to actually hula hoop no matter how impaired I may be at this practice. That is worth the $29.00 right there! My little oompa loompa sized body has never been able to get hula hooping right, so I am pretty freakin' excited, and I am pretty sure that somewhere 8 year old Jenn would be pretty excited too.

And really, if it's good enough for Tyrion FREAKING Lannister, it's good enough for me. 
So there you have it, just a few tips on how to save a few bucks, and still get in a good workout. Just a heads up though, if some stranger walks up to you in the parking lot of a Target and offers to give you a free workout, you should probably just walk away. Or run. Which would in all honesty be a pretty good workout in and of itself.

3 comments:

  1. All I got from this post was that Peter Dinklage is just the coolest. Sorry babe.

    Wait... are you seriously hula-hooping? I thought you were kidding about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about your hula-hooping adventures. One of my students did hooping as an activity one semester...I was hopeless. I hear it's all about the timing. If you discover the secret, please let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I will share the secret! I am pretty excited to see if I can actually accomplish this. She claims she can get anyone to hula-hoop. I may just be her Everest :)

      Delete