Monday, March 2, 2015

Today's Secret Word is...

I will have to be upfront and honest that I have not been nearly as active as I would like to have been this week. For one thing, I have been sick since Wednesday, and this mess just keeps evolving into one illness after another so that I end up feeling like I am sick with every virus possible. I am currently sick even as I type. Pretty sure that I must be nearing the final stage of this sickness which will inevitably look something like this.

This is my best case scenario of how tomorrow will feel.

On top of feeling like anyone that comes in contact with me should be given a hazmat suit, we also got hit with more snow. Again. Lovely. At this point, I feel unfazed by the white stuff. It's kind of like knowing that you are going to have to do dishes each night and the laundry every other day. You wake up, it's there, you deal with it. Of course once I finally decided to make peace with this fact,  life decided to smack me around a bit. The state plow truck pushed down a huge wall of snow that I had built up to keep between my husband's car and the road. This wall of snow was a compact snow/ice hybrid that had been formed from the plow trucks coming through our road, and my shoveling our driveway for every storm we have had this winter. It was roughly 15 feet long.


This is the before and after of my Everest.


 All that snow was pushed into my driveway and I was the only one home to deal with it. Luckily, my children just happened to be inside watching PeeWee's Playhouse on Netflix so they were unable to hear me let out a string of profanity that made me sound like I had Tourettes syndrome. I am pretty sure that I may have even made up a few words that were so foul they hadn't been invented yet.

Yeah, "FUN" wasn't the F-word I was thinking of, Pee Wee.

Now the point of this blog is supposed to be about being physically active in the winter, and I promise you, I am getting to that part. You see, we needed that space to park our car, and to use as a pathway to walk to our house. I had to shovel it. There was no option. I spent nearly 6 hours shoveling that day, and at least half of that time was spent just clearing away that wall of snow. I was upset and discouraged when I realized what a task I had in front of me, but I did it and I did it on my own, minus 30 minutes of shoveling that my cousin helped out with. This same time last year, I could not have tackled that task. I was not even remotely fit enough to attempt it. It was brutal, but I got it done and I was incredibly proud of myself. I could have called someone to plow it, and I almost did. Deep down I knew I could do it, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could.

Making the changes that I have in the past 6 months (eating healthier, being more active) has changed me in ways I hadn't expected. Smaller sizes of jeans have been great, but nothing has compared to the rush that I get from being able to do something that I hadn't been able to do before, like running, keeping up better with my kids, walking 11,000 steps a day, and moving mountains of snow. These are the reasons I keep shoveling on.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts never cease to amaze and amuse me. That is (was) a huge mountain of snow. Pride well earned. Keep us the great work!!

    ReplyDelete