Monday, March 9, 2015

Snot rockets be damned!!!

I have really been dreading making this week's blog because I have spent almost 2 solid weeks so sick that I haven't been able to really do much physical activity. The whole point of this thing was to show ways that I could be active in the winter, and though shoveling has provided PLENTY of activity, I was hoping that there would be more that I could write about. So, I purposely put off writing this week's post, hoping that I would feel well enough to write about something other than me and my shovel shenanigans. As luck would have it, my purposeful procrastination has paid off and I do get to write about something else. Woo Hoo!

Today was the first day in a long time that I have felt even quasi human. With the warm weather and sun shining it felt like the awesome chance to attempt a run. The melting has started now so there is at least a tiny bit of a shoulder to the road. Now I won't have as high of a chance that I will get mowed down while running. All the signs were telling me to go. Before I could tell myself I wasn't well enough to go, I got on my running clothes and headed for the door.

This totally happened.

I don't know that you could call what I did today, RUNNING. There was walking, slow jog, tiny sprint, walking again, and then kind of a run all mashed into one. It wasn't pretty, and neither was I, but I felt pretty fantastic doing it. There were a lot of little victories in today's "run". First off, my running pants were sooo much more loose than they had been since I had worn them last! That was both exciting, and then mostly annoying as I tried to run in them. Next, it was fantastically beautiful outside and things are melting!


Do see what is happening here? For the love of all that is holy, that is actually snow that is melting!!!


The sun was shinning, and I didn't need a winter coat on to be outside! What isn't there to love? Lastly, I noticed that even though I was sick, and wasn't able to give it my 100 percent, I went so much further than I thought I would be able to go.

What this photo doesn't show is the crazy amount of neon I was wearing. It looked like a unicorn had vomited on me.

I used to classify being a runner as being one type of person. A runner was fit, they wore tight, body revealing clothes, they had their running cliques, and they thought they were, and probably are, better than me. As I have become a runner (yup, I can call myself that now) I realize that I was being a jerk. I am sure that there are a lot of runners out there that fit into the box that I described, and many that would point and mock me if they saw me running. Mean people are everywhere. Being a runner is about really loving running and just doing it no matter how good or bad you are at it. I don't even love running while I am doing it! I just love the way I feel about my accomplishment after I have finished, and that is good enough for me.

There are still some things that I want to feel more comfortable with while running, that I may or may not master. One of my friends told me I should learn to spit and blow "snot rockets" if I was going to run.


It's stuff like this that makes me terrified to snot rocket.


Overall I think that she is right. Those things are kind of necessary as running gets all your nasty juices flowing, and though I have gotten pretty adept at spitting, I just don't think I can ever be a snot rocket kind of girl. I am kind of a dork and instead of using the nifty little pockets on my gloves for my key or emergency money, I stuff them with Kleenex.

Yup, the sign of a seasoned, hardcore runner, ladies and gentlemen.


The point is, there is no wrong way to do this, boys and girls! So even if it wasn't my smoothest or my best run, I feel like today was the sign that spring really is on it's way, and that this first run was just the beginning of many more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant post! You have inspired me to get off my couch, ignore my snot-filled nose, and do some yoga.
    As a cyclist, I have attempted the snot rocket. Can't say I've mastered it, and definitely don't like it. I usually bring a bandana with me, and if I forget, well, that's what cycling gloves are for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I'm right there with you! If the sleeves of my running shirts could talk! I've done, terrible, terrible things!

      Delete