Monday, March 23, 2015

Awesome Mix Vol. 1

This is a nod to my husband, who has given me many a mix tape, and happens to be mildly obsessed with the movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, which is where this "mix tape" is from. 
So I am hoping that this isn't too much of a stretch to equate music with personal fitness, but it really goes hand in hand with motivating me, so I am hoping that you, Dear Reader, and you, Dear Professor (especially you!), feel the same way. You see this week's post could have been about what I did the week before last, which was walking and running for 5 days straight. It was pretty amazing, actually. It was somewhat warm, things were melting, and I could actually see a shoulder on the road for me to walk on so I could get out of the oncoming traffic. Those days are gone now. Or at least it feels that way.

I would feel a bit better if Johnny Depp would hold me, too.

 Next I thought about writing this week's post on what last week had been like, but I don't think anyone wants a play by play of my 4 year old vomiting like Old Faithful for days straight.

Imagine this, but with less bison and more vomit. I'm keepin' it classy, folks.
In short, I spent all of last week as a triage nurse in my own home and because of this, my body decided that it needed to expend all of it's energy fighting the virus that wanted to take me down along with my son, so I got almost no real exercise in.

So, back to the reason for that mix tape! Mother Nature has been specifically brutal this winter and early spring, which has meant that a lot of my fitness time has been indoors. It's hard to stay motivated to walk or run in place when you are in the same living room day after day. The one thing that keeps me motivated is finding songs that make me want to get up and move. This also applies when I am outside running. I notice a huge difference in how fast I can run if I have on music that is fast paced with a good beat. This doesn't mean it has to be "good" music, just good music to run to. My daughter sweetly downloaded my Ani DiFranco albums to my new iPod. This was so great because I do love me some Ani, but I didn't realize it was the only music on my iPod when I left for my run a few weeks ago. I'll be honest, it was terrible music to run to. Terrible. Now, maybe you LOVE to run to Ani DiFranco! I am cool with that. In the words of my 6 year old, "I don't want to yuck someone else's yum" (seriously who came up with that phrase?!), but it just didn't work for me, and honestly neither does that phrase! So, I thought I would give you  my current 5 favorite songs to run to, and if you want, you could leave me a comment here about some of your favorites.

I will be running my first 5K since December this Saturday, March 28th. It has been a while since I have been able to train for a 5K, so this run will be particularly brutal. It's called The Flattop 5K, and I guess that means I won't be too badly wrecked afterwards.


I am hoping that with our powers combined, we can come up with a good "mix tape" that will get me through this run!

Try not to make too much fun of me for this list!

1.) Uptown Funk You have to get off your butt when you hear it. My four year old got me addicted!
2.) Can't Hold Us It's upbeat. It's empowering. It's Macklemore!
3.) Thrift Shop Because you can't have one Macklemore song and not this one too!
4.) Don't Stop Me Now First, I love Queen. Second, I love Shaun of the Dead. Third, great song!
5.) Shake It Off Now don't you judge me! This song just makes me want to move, damn it!!

So that is it. Chuckle if you will but those are my top 5 workout songs at this point and time. You can think I am wrong, and you hate them all, but at least give me some songs worthy of my time if you want to complain! Next week I will fill you in on how the 5K went, if the songs worked, and some of the other upcoming 5Ks in the area that you might want to check out.

5 comments:

  1. I think all the songs are great if I had a suggestion and one of my favorite is eye of the tiger always gets me going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, this is EXACTLY the song I would have thought you would chose!

      Delete
  2. "Hooked on a Feeling" is also a good workout song. And so is "Come and Get Your Love" and so is "I Want You Back" and so is "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". Those are just SOME suggestions. I have more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there is a theme that ties these together. Am I right?

      Delete
  3. I am all for the music as inspiration when working out indoors. And it does have to be the "right" music, or at least the right kind of music. I do love me some Ani, but I don't ever play it during a workout. :)
    I like some Oingo Boingo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y0lLwLxVX8
    (yes, I'm an 80's child), Police (Omegaman has a great beat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McgRJXTTvUI
    Rodrigo y Gabriela (Tamacun is awesome) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk
    Thanks for sharing some of your musical selections. And, as always, for your wonderful sense of humor. I heard the vomit bug was going around. Hoping we miss out on it. :)

    ReplyDelete